Saturday, August 24, 2013

Rich Fruit Cake

This is my first attempt at this particular fruit cake recipe. I hope this step by step process helps!

Here are the ingredients. You will need sugar, water, butter, dried mixed fruits, flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and some nutmeg powder. YUMMY!



1) Firstly, caramelize 350gm of caster sugar. Best if you use a wide pan, perhaps 7" minimum. When the sugar starts to turn brown in color, just swirl your pan to mix it around. When it has turned amber, pour 60ml of hot water. Watch out. The steam is extremely hot!



2) Lower your heat. Add 250gm butter and 500gm mixed fruits. Turn off heat and leave to cool a bit.



3) Then, add in your already sifted mix of dry ingredients (350gm flour, 1 tsp cream of tartar, 2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp nutmeg powder). The smell of nutmeg is inviting.



4) Lastly, add 3 already lightly beaten eggs. Mix well.



5) Pour mixture into 8" x 8" lined (base), greased and lightly floured baking tin.



6) Cover with aluminium foil and steam for 4 hours (1 hour on high heat + 3 hours on medium). Make sure the water is already boiling when you place your tin in the steamer. Check the water often, adding boiling water if required.


I love my bamboo steamer. Never lets me down.


7) After 4 hours, test your cake with a skewer. Should come out clean.

I left the cake in the tin to cool down a bit before turning it out. I should leave the cake to cool completely before slicing (they said that it is best to leave a fruit cake overnight, at least, before eating it), but I was impatient and had a slice or two while it was still warm.. hi hi ..

The cake is heavy, so moist and I sooo love the butter and nutmeg taste. It isn't so sweet and the fruits scattered. Sooo gooood!



I will definitely make this again.

Why don't you give it a try and tell me what you think!